April 3, 2013

The Hunt Ends - Post #1

 Only two sailors, in my experience, never ran aground.
One never left port, and the other was an atrocious liar.
 Don Bramford

You can get addicted to sailing.  There will come a point when you can't walk away.  It's not just the act using wind power to propel you across the water .... It's a lifestyle, a culture... and in some cases, an affliction.  So is the case here.  Admitting your weakness to an affliction, and in my case a welcome affliction,  is the first step to help you move forward.... and so it is.  Accept that you are passionately obsessed and it's all glory days from there.

It had been about 6 months, maybe more,  since selling "Nimbus", the Newport 30' sloop, I've owned for the past 4 years.

I struggled with selling her, even on the final day before the sell.  She was a sweet ride, and perfect for Lake Lanier as my quick connection to the passion of sailing ....  Could I really part with her? .... tough decision, yes, but thankfully, I was devinely inspired by a bird that helped me make my decision.... a Kingfisher bird that is.  

As I was having my coffee one morning anchored near Buford dam, I was startled to hear a bird chirping away in a raspy ton perched atop the mast of Nimbus... Never before had any bird, much less a Kingfisher, come to rest on my boat at such a pinnacle point, the top of the mast ... It's a sign,  I know it is, and so I will follow.  I had prayed for a sign, and here it was, right on perfect time...  So when I see this here Kingfisher singing to the world on top of mast, it made me wonder... what's the symbolism of this I thought?  He left for a few minutes, and I brushed it off... but nooooooo, 10 minutes later he is back.... at it again.... I'm pleased and pondered at the same time... So I did a quick search on the web and came up with the totem translation of what it means if a Kingfisher suddenly comes into your life...

      If a Kingfisher comes into your life,                you might be required
to dive headlong into some activity
or possibly a new love will enter your life.
No matter what it is, don't be afraid of trying the new.
Kingfisher will be there to guide you.
You won't drown -- and you will have sunshine, love and abundance!
to dive headlong into some activity
or possibly a new love will enter your life.No matter what it is, don't be afraid of trying the new.Kingfisher will be there to guide you.You won't drown -- and you will have sunshine, love and abundance!

And that was a certainly good enough reason or motivation for me to part ways with Nimbus.

But now that this school teacher has officially retired from service to our youth, it's time to move to bigger seas.... and hopefully a bigger vessel.

No comments:

Post a Comment